Breast reduction surgery, also called reduction mammaplasty, is a procedure that involves removal of
WHY BREAST REDUCTION?
If you’re unhappy with the weight/droop or shape of your breasts, you may be considering breast reduction surgery to reduce the size of your breasts.
Here are some problems you might face as a result of extremely large breasts:
- Back, n
eck,or shoulder pain
- Skin infections, irritation, and rashes underneath the breasts
- Discomfort when exercising and playing active sports
- Psychological distress (e.g. depression or low self-esteem)
- Painful grooves/marks on the shoulders because of bra straps
- Posture issues
Here are some of the aesthetic benefits of the breast reduction procedure:
- You will have noticeably firmer, lifted breasts. This will add to your youthful appearance.
- You will feel more comfortable and attractive wearing certain clothing.
- Since stretched areolas are reduced in this procedure, you will look better both in and out of your clothes.
- An improvement in the proportions of your breasts will make your overall silhouette more attractive and balanced.
BREAST REDUCTION INCISION OPTIONS
Donut Breast Reduction: This type of breast reduction is recommended for patients who don’t require a significant reduction in their breast size. It involves the creation of two concentric circles around the areola (one of which is on the border).
Vertical/Lollipop Breast Reduction: This breast reduction option is also ideal for a small to moderate around of reduction. These patients may have obvious sagging. The procedure involves making an incision around the border of the areola and a vertical incision down to the breast fold.
Inverted-T Breast Reduction: This procedure requires three incisions to be made in the patient’s breasts: one around the areola, one down to the breast fold, and one curving across the fold. It is recommended for those patients who need
BREAST REDUCTION PROCEDURE
Breast reduction surgery usually takes anywhere between two and five hours. General anesthesia or intravenous sedation will be used to make you feel comfortable during the procedure. The ideal sedation option for you will be determined before the procedure.
A breast reduction surgery is undertaken with the surgeon making incisions in your breasts and then removing excess fat, skin, and/or glandular tissue. Liposuction and excision are methods of removing tissue during this process, and in some cases,
You might need to wear a support bra or elastic bandage to reduce swelling. It will help in supporting your breasts during healing. The surgeon may also place a tiny, thin tube called a drain underneath your skin. This is important for draining out excess collected blood and fluid to avoid complications.
FIND OUT MORE DURING A CONSULTATION
If you would like to find out more about the healing process and the procedure itself, it’s best to arrange a consultation by contacting our office. Doctors Lupo and Fontenot have years of experience with breast reduction and a variety of other procedures.