How To Get Rid Of Wrinkles
Published on June 27, 2019
By Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery of Acadiana
Wrinkles may be a natural part of the aging process, but that doesn’t mean that we have to like the creases, folds, and ridges in our skin that develop during our lifetime. Often, they can make us look older than we really are, and since it is nearly impossible to hide them well with cosmetics, they can cause us to be self-conscious about our appearance. Fortunately, there are a number of effective treatments to combat this common problem.
Here are some of the most effective ways of getting rid of wrinkles and enjoying smoother, younger-looking skin.
Dermaplaning is a popular and effective cosmetic treatment that focuses primarily on the exfoliation of the outermost layer of skin to reveal healthier, more radiant skin beneath. Dermaplaning can be used on any skin type and can be useful to improve the appearance of acne scars, dry and dull skin as well as fine lines and wrinkles. It also removes the soft, fine hairs on your face that are sometimes referred to as peach fuzz.
Key facts about dermaplaning:
- The process looks a lot like shaving and rarely requires anesthetic
- Only the top layer of skin is removed, meaning no downtime
- The entire process can be performed in under 30 minutes
- Can be combined with other procedures, such as a peel, to enhance the final effect
- Monthly visits may be needed to maintain the results
Microdermabrasion is another form of exfoliation that is simple, painless and can make a distinct difference to the appearance of your skin. This treatment uses ultra-fine crystals to lift the top layer of skin and expose the smoother, more youthful skin beneath. A small, handheld vacuum is used to remove the dead skin cells. Microdermabrasion has been shown to improve the appearance of a variety of issues including fine lines and wrinkles, sun damage and shallow acne marks.
Key facts about microdermabrasion
- The process is completely painless, with no need for needles or anesthetic
- The process can usually be performed in under an hour
- There is no downtime and patients can get back to their usual activities immediately after the treatment although skin may look pink for up to eight weeks
- Microdermabrasion is often repeated every 4-6 weeks to maintain optimal results
Many people have heard of chemical peels. Micropeel is a specific type of chemical peel from SkinCeuticalsÒ that combines dermaplaning with chemical exfoliation and cryogenic therapy to produce outstanding results. These include improved skin texture and radiance, boosting natural collagen and elastin levels and removing imperfections including hyperpigmentation, lines, and wrinkles.
Key facts about Micropeel
- The process is largely considered to be comfortable with minimal discomfort to patients
- MicropeelÒ can only be carried out by a trained professional
- Downtime is minimal, although you may have some initial redness, flaking, and itching in the days after your procedure
- Further treatments will be required to maintain your results
The VI Peel is another form of chemical peel and is suitable for all skin types, even those with darker tones. It involves the application of safe but powerful acids onto the skin which removes the outermost layers to reveal healthy, new and younger-looking skin beneath. It can be beneficial in addressing a multitude of different cosmetic issues including uneven skin texture, large pores, pigmentation issues, and acne marks as well as softening lines and wrinkles.
Key facts about VI Peel
- Safe for all skin types and tones
- Treatment can usually be completed in around 20 minutes
- Light flaking of the skin is normal after your treatment, but usually only lasts a few days
- VI Peel is often combined with other skin rejuvenation treatments
Proper Skin Care
It is impossible to underestimate the importance of proper Skin Care at home. As your largest organ, your skin acts as a barrier for the rest of your body against harmful substances including germs. It may start out soft and supple and free from lines, but over the years, certain habits and exposure to the elements can cause the appearance of your skin to diminish. Combined with the natural aging process, if you don’t take good care of your skin it is possible to look much older than you really are.
Fortunately, there are a wide variety of excellent skin products that have been scientifically proven to improve skin health as well as its appearance. Your cosmetic specialist will be able to help you find the products that are most suitable for your skin.
Want more advice on the best way to get rid of wrinkles? Feel free to contact our offices where our expert team will be delighted to assist you.